Pages

Sunday 10 October 2010

Hello blogging world!


I've been saying for a long time that I want to write a blog. Finally, after a lot of procrastination, I am writing my first blog post. I've decided that the best night to start my blog was a night when I cooked steak. Steak is my favourite food, and it is
something that I cook multiple times per week. I plan for this blog to mostly be about cooking and eating food. Subjects I will also occasionally touch on are viola (!), books, and friends. I live in new york city, in a very tiny apartment, with my lovely roomates (and guest chefs) Simon and Liz (seen below)!
Tonight, Liz and I had a lovely dinner date together. We cooked a new york strip steak for each of us, and bruschetta! Seeing as we don't have a grill, our preferred method of cooking steak is pan-frying. This is rather messy, occasionally sets off our smoke alarm, and sometimes ends in burns on my arm. It's worth it for how delicious it tastes. Tonight we decided to pretty much use every spice in our cabinet to season our steaks. This resulted in steaks seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic salt, italian seasoning, paprika, and cumin. It sounds like a bit much, but it turned out to be rather delicious. We ended up with perfectly cooked
(rare), juicy, deliciously seasoned steaks!

Since we had really wonderful tomatoes from the farmer's market at 66th st, we made bruschetta as our side dish. Since the tomatoes were so good on their own the bruschetta was amazing!

All in all, it was a delicious meal and a lovely night!

Steak:
sprinkle paprika, ground cumin, garlic salt, salt, pepper, and italian season on the steak
heat olive oil (or butter) in a pan
pan-fry steaks until they reach desired level of done. personally I like my steaks pretty rare, which was about 2 1/2 minutes on each side on medium-high heat.

Bruschetta:
chop tomatoes (we used one pretty big tomato)
mix tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl
let sit for a while
serve over sliced french baguette
if you aren't lactose intolerant/kosher and eating it with meat, you can melt mozzarella cheese on the bread or sprinkle fresh mozzarella on top of the bruschetta!

1 comment:

  1. who is that hot girl with the purple scarf? i'd like a piece of that...

    ReplyDelete