Pages

Thursday 3 November 2011

The Most Delicious Lemon Squares

One of my favourite places to visit is San Francisco. It is an amazing city, and it is also home to my sister, my aunt and uncle, and my cousins. As a result, I end up going to San Francisco at least 2 or 3 times a year, despite the fact that it takes longer to get there from New York than it would take to get to Iceland.
All of my relatives who live in San Francisco are awesome cooks. My sister always amazes me with her creativity when it comes to food. Last time we were both in Houston, she made a pizza with barbeque sauce, peaches, and chorizo. I was seriously skeptical of these flavour combinations, but it was incredible. I also love my Aunt Jeanie's cooking, and have often asked her for recipes.
When I was in San Francisco almost a year ago, Aunt Jeanie made lemon squares that were to die for. I think I ate almost an entire pan of them. Before these lemon squares, I had never loved lemon squares that much. These were so buttery and crumbly, with the perfect balance of tart and sweet. I was so addicted. This was a recipe I had to have, and it is now a recipe that I perhaps make too often. The good news is that my friends love them too, so I always have someone to share them with.
I made a batch recently, realized I hadn't blogged about them yet, and decided that I needed to.
Right after I made this batch, I went to an orchestra rehearsal, during which my roommate Liz texted me to ask if she could have one. I said yes and asked if they turned out okay. Her response was, "Oh my holy f**k they're amazing!" When I returned from orchestra, half of the pan was already gone, courtesy of Simon and Liz.

Lemon Squares
recipe from my Aunt Jeanie

Part 1:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sifted flour

Spread these ingredients in a 9 by 9 greased pan.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Part 2:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients together and pour over first part.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still hot.
Cut into squares!

No comments:

Post a Comment