Pages

Thursday 28 July 2011

Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Pesto Tart with Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad

Lately I've been craving tomato tart. I don't really know why. It's kind of a random craving.
My mom makes a great tomato tart but it's not something we ever had very often.
I thought about making my mom's tart recipe but I decided it would be fun to try something new.
I'm glad I did because this was incredible!
It was so good that I could have eaten the whole thing, but I decided to be nice and share it with my friends!
(also, the whole thing would have been twice the amount of calories I should eat in a day, so that probably would have been a very bad idea)
While I was eating lunch yesterday, I was watching Five Ingredient Fix on Food Network.
I don't usually watch this particular show because I happen to find the host rather annoying. However, whenever I have watched it I've always had to grudgingly admit that her recipes look kind of awesome.
When I turned the tv on yesterday, she was making a fresh raspberry vinaigrette salad with mixed greens. I had been wondering what to make as a side with my tart and it seemed as though I had my answer.
I love raspberries and the salad turned out great!
My friends Kathryn, Vlad, and Kaori joined me for the meal and seemed to really enjoy it!
There's nothing more fun than a delicious meal with awesome friends!

Slow Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Pesto Tart
recipe is from the blog What Katie Ate

Ingredients for Pesto:
2 handfuls of fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil (not extra virgin as flavor would be overpowering)
100 g (about 4 oz) soft goat cheese
1 pinch chili flakes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
sea salt and black pepper

Ingredients for topping:
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
shaved parmesan cheese for serving
fresh oregano leaves
fresh basil leaves
sea salt and black pepper

1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry and it's amazing)
1 egg yolk and a splash of milk for egg wash

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place all tomatoes on baking tray, cut side up.
Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Slow roast for 2 hours.

Meanwhile, make the pesto.
Put two handfuls of fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, chili flakes, and olive oil into a food processor and mix to form a smooth pesto paste.
Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Cut a circle out of the pre-rolled pastry using a standard size dinner plate.
Place circle of pastry on baking tray.
Using a slightly smaller plate (about 1/2 in smaller), make a groove in the pastry by centering the plate and then pressing down gently.
Prick the smaller pastry circle inside the groove with a fork.
Brush the exterior border of the pastry with egg wash.

Spread the pesto in a thin layer on the inside circle of the pastry, being careful not to get any on the outer border.
Place roasted tomatoes in the center over the pesto.
Season with salt, pepper, and oregano leaves.
Roast in oven at 350 degrees until pastry is cooked on bottom and golden brown around the edges. For me this only took about 14 or 15 minutes.

When ready to serve, sprinkle parmesan shavings over the tart and place some fresh basil leaves on top.

Greens With Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette
Recipe by Claire Robinson on Five Ingredient Fix

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh raspberries, with extra for garnish
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
3/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
mixed greens

Put raspberries, mustard, and pomegranate juice into food processor and mix until smooth.
Add olive oil and mix until smooth emulsified dressing has formed.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place dressing in bottom of salad bowl and top with mixed greens.
Toss and garnish with additional raspberries.

This made WAY too much dressing for me so I put the dressing I didn't use in the refrigerator.
According to the original recipe, the vinaigrette will stay good in the refrigerator for up to five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment