Pages

Saturday 23 July 2011

Peanut Butter

I don't like peanut butter.
I'm told this is very odd. Everyone else I know seems to LOVE peanut butter.
I don't get it.
Lately I've been getting a lot of requests for peanut butter cookies, so I decided to give them a try. I knew this would be a cookie that I wouldn't be tempted to eat an entire batch of.
I searched the internet, looked through about a dozen different recipes, and finally found a recipe that looked pretty good.
It happens to be a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook My Father's Daughter.
I found it on epicurious.
These cookies were good. Even I thought so. The peanut butter taste was definitely there but it wasn't overpowering.
These cookies were an even bigger hit than my snickerdoodles. People came back for second and third helpings of cookies.
Here they are cooling on the rack:

Grandad Danner's Favourite Peanut Butter Cookies
recipe slightly adjusted from the one in Gwyneth Paltrow's book My Father's Daughter

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
some granulated sugar to roll the dough in before baking

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugars.
Mix in egg and vanilla.
Add flour mixture in thirds and stir until smooth.
Fold in peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
Roll dough into small balls.
Roll these balls of dough in granulated sugar.
Place dough on baking sheet and press each ball down with the tines of a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
Bake for ten minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time.
Cool cookies on a rack.
Serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment