Pages

Saturday 14 January 2012

Apple Latkes

Happy belated Chanukah!During my winter break I did a lot of cooking. I also did a lot of practicing, reading, and tv watching. So I didn't quite get around to blogging about my recipes. I'm back to new york now and plan to blog about a few recipes before I get back to real work.
I've never really liked latkes. That's because your traditional latkes are potato latkes and are often made with a store bought mix. Ew. When I saw this apple latke recipe, I couldn't resist giving it a try. My family had a chanukah brunch on christmas day, providing me with the perfect opportunity to make these.
These latkes were delicious and sweet. I finally found a latke that I liked! My dad, who also doesn't usually like latkes, loved these. We did end up also trying a potato latke recipe that I had to (begrudgingly) admit that I liked. These apple latkes are definitely my favourite though!

Apple Latkes
recipe from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 lb Granny Smith Apples (2 or 3)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
butter for frying
crème fraîche for serving

Peel and core the apples and then grate them (I used a cheese grater).
Transfer grated apple to a clean dishtowel and wring out as much juice as you can.
Transfer grated apple to a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder, then toss with the apple and lemon mixture.
Whisk eggs in another dish until lightly beaten, then mix into apple, flour, lemon mixture.
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and coat with a pat of butter.
Drop tablespoons of apple batter in little piles on the skillet and gently press flat with a spatula.
Fry until nicely browned underneath (4 or 5 minutes) and then flip. Drain briefly on paper towels.
Add a pat of butter to the pan between each batch of latkes.
Serve with crème fraîche!

You can keep latkes warm in a warming drawer or heated oven (200 degrees) for up to an hour!



No comments:

Post a Comment